Find out if you can claim now:

Landlord Accident Claims

We can help you claim compensation if you’ve suffered an injury while living in rented accommodation.

We can help if you need to make a claim against your landlord

When you rent a home, you should be able to live safely without worrying about having an accident due to poor living conditions.

If you’ve been injured because of your landlord’s negligence while living in rented accommodation, you may be able to claim compensation. We can help you take the first steps.

We have over 20 years’ experience working with personal injury and accident claims. We can tell you over the phone if we think you have a valid claim against your landlord. We can even put you in contact with a specialist solicitor today.

You can call us on  0800 540 4258  for free to talk about your accident. When you call us, you’re under no obligation to claim, and all of our calls are confidential.

Am I living in 'rented accommodation'?

We know there are different types of rented accommodation and this may mean you’re unsure if you’re able to make a claim, especially if you’re not a privately renting tenant.

You’re considered to be living in rented accommodation and eligible to make a landlord accident claim if you’re renting from:

  • A private landlord
  • A letting agent or management firm
  • A housing association
  • A local council
  • Your university

Making a landlord accident claim

Beginning your compensation claim for an accident caused by your landlord is simple. When you call us on  0800 540 4258  you’ll speak to one of our legally trained advisors. They’re able to answer any questions you might have about making a compensation claim.

Our advisors are also there to tell you if we think you have a claim.

If we think you do have a claim, we’ll ask if you’re happy for us to pass your details on to a specialist solicitor firm we work closely with. Your solicitor will have experience working with your type of claim.

One of the considerations when claiming against a landlord is whether you’re eligible. Hear expert lawyer Laura Nabozny’s advice on what conditions need to be met in order to win a claim for illness or injury


Do I have a landlord accident compensation claim?

When you contact us to discuss your accident, we’ll be looking to advise you on whether you have a compensation claim.

To do this, we’ll ask you questions that relate to your experience and injury. This will include the date of the accident, any time you’ve had off work and the nature of your injury.

To be able to make a compensation claim your accident must:

  • have happened within the last three years
  • be the fault of your landlord or a party acting on behalf of your landlord
  • have caused you to suffer an injury

Your landlord must have also failed to uphold their responsibilities as a landlord.

What are my landlord’s responsibilities?

When you rent a property, regardless of whether it is a private property or a council owned house, you’re protected by common law.

Common law states that a property should be in a condition that poses no significant risk to you (the resident) or your visitors.

You should also be protected by your tenancy agreement. This will outline specific responsibilities for you and your landlord throughout the length of your tenancy.

Typically, tenancy agreements outline that your landlord’s responsibilities are to provide a building that:

  • Can withstand normal weather conditions
  • Can withstand normal use by tenants and visitors to the property
  • Is in a reasonable state of repair, both internally and externally
  • Is fit for you to live in
  • Is free from damp and ventilated enough to reduce the risks of condensation

If your landlord has failed to meet the responsibilities outlined in your tenancy agreement, or has provided a property that has caused you, a member of your family or a visitor to your house to become injured, you may be able to make a compensation claim.

You can discuss your accident and injury today on 0800 540 4258   for free. Our calls are confidential and you are under no obligation to start your claim.

What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

As a tenant, you have certain responsibilities. These are often outlined in your tenancy agreement, but typically include the daily upkeep of the property, making sure it is clean and tidy and reporting any property defects to your landlord as soon as possible.

Where you’ve reported a property defect to the landlord, and they have failed to fix it, it may be possible to make a compensation claim against them if you’ve been injured as a result of the defect.

From our years’ experience, we know that failing to meet your responsibilities as a tenant can reduce the chances of your claim being successful.

However, you shouldn’t worry if you’re unsure about your responsibilities as a tenant. You can discuss these when you contact us about your claim.

You can also read more about your rights as a tenant on housing and homelessness charity Shelter’s website.

My child was injured in our rented accommodation; can I claim on their behalf?

We know that sometimes it may not be you who has been injured as a result of your landlord’s negligence.

Your landlord’s negligence may have led to someone in your family being injured, for example your children.

If your child has been injured because your landlord has failed to uphold their responsibilities to your family, we can help you make a compensation claim on their behalf.

You can call us on 0800 540 4258   for free to discuss your child’s compensation claim now, or you can read more about claiming on behalf of a child here.

Injury types

Below are some examples of injuries that can occur when your landlord has failed to meet their responsibilities and keep you and your family safe.

We’ve also included some resources which can provide you with more information on how to keep safe in your home.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

CO poisoning can be caused by faulty gas appliances which are not burning their fuel effectively. Your landlord is responsible for making sure your gas appliances are safe and must have a gas safety check carried out by a Gas Safe engineer every 12 months.

You can read more about CO safety on our carbon monoxide infographic here.

Slips, trips and falls

Slips, trips and falls can be the result of poor lighting, loose carpeting or leaking pipes.

Your tenancy agreement should state who is responsible for replacing bulbs or lighting fixtures in your home and the public spaces that allow you to access your home.

Typically, your landlord is responsible for the upkeep of your building.

You can read more about our experience with slips, trips and falls claims here.

Respiratory problems

Respiratory problems can be caused by damp or mould in your home. Breathing in damp air or mould spores can cause lung conditions or make existing ones such as asthma, bronchitis or emphysema worse.

If you or any member of your family has an existing respiratory problem and is living in damp or mouldy conditions, we recommend speaking to your doctor and landlord as soon as possible.

Contact us today to see if you have a compensation claim

You can call us for free on  0800 540 4258 . We can tell you if you if we think you have a claim today.

Our calls are confidential, and you’re under no obligation to claim when you contact us. We’re here to listen to your experience and give you advice.

We can help you understand what happens when you make a compensation claim and put you in contact with a solicitor who is right for your type of claim.

Find out how we can help you, let us call you back

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

National Accident Helpline is a secure and private website
Found this helpful? Share it!
Find & follow us on