Are you looking for some advice? do you have some questions? Are you ready to claim? We are here to help.

Our advisors will call you back within 3 minutes on average, during business hours. Alternatively, use our secure form to submit an enquiry, and we'll get in touch at a time that suits you.

Road Accident Advice

If you’ve been involved in a road accident, we can give you advice on what to do next.

Road accidents don’t just happen to drivers

We know that road accidents can affect all road users. This means pedestrians, cyclists and passengers can be affected by road accidents as well as drivers.

Being in a road accident can be a scary experience and often results in some form of physical injury or psychological trauma.

Below, we provide some advice on what to do if you’ve been in a road or car accident. We also outline how we can help you to cover the cost of your medical treatment and any damage to your property, as well as receiving compensation for pain and suffering .

What is a road accident?

We know that people typically think of a road accident occurring when two or more vehicles collide. In fact, any road user can be involved in a road accident.

If you’re a cyclist, motorcyclist or pedestrian you are considered a road user, as are passengers in cars or public transport.

If you’ve been in an accident as a cyclist, pedestrian or passenger, and that involved another vehicle colliding with you, then you have been in a road accident.

You’ve also been in a road accident if you’ve suffered an injury because of poor road conditions, such as potholes or cracks in the road surface.

We know that the severity of road accidents varies, but we also believe that you are always entitled to know who is responsible for your accident.

Below is our advice on road accidents. We’ve learned a lot over our years’ working with road accident claims, and if you’ve been in a road accident, we may be able to help you.

If you want to speak to us about your experience and find out how we can help, you can contact us for free on  0800 540 4258 .

Our legally trained advisors can provide advice about your situation and answer any questions you might have.

What to do after a road accident

If you’ve recently been involved in a road accident, there are a number of steps you should take.

After an accident, it’s vital that you prioritise your health and get help from the emergency services as soon as possible.

We know from our  years’ experience that it’s common to experience shock after a car accident. This is one of the reasons why it’s important to be checked out by ambulance staff, or first-aid trained police or fire officers, as shock can often make it difficult to focus on the situation. It can be wise to phone a friend or family member to come and help, as you shouldn’t be alone if suffering from shock.

You may also be suffering injuries that are not yet obvious. The emergency services will document your road accident and make sure you get any immediate treatment you may need, but you may also find it helpful to visit your GP in the days following the accident.

If is it safe to do so, and you are fit to do so, you should collect as much information about your road accident as possible.

We advise trying to collect:

  • The registration numbers of the vehicles involved
  • The personal details of other people involved in the accident, including passengers; this may include passengers on public transport
  • Witness statements
  • Photos of the accident scene and the damage caused

If you’re a cyclist or a driver whose road accident was caused by road conditions, there may not have been anyone else involved or any witnesses to what happened.

If this is the case, you should still try to collect as much information as you can about the circumstances surrounding your accident. This might include taking photographs of poor road conditions, such as potholes or cracks.

What is a driver responsible for after a car accident?

Any driver of a vehicle involved in a road accident should stop after the accident, regardless of whether or not it was their fault.

A driver should check to see if anybody was injured in the accident, or if any property or vehicle has been damaged. This includes public property, such as a lamp post or fence.

The driver should also provide the opportunity for those involved in the road accident to collect their details.

What happens if the driver can’t be found?

If a driver cannot be traced, or has failed to provide their details, you can still report the offence.

If a driver failed to stop at the scene of your road accident, or failed to provide their details so they could be contacted, then that driver can also be reported for failing to stop. If they are traced, this may result in further legal action being taken against them.

Where a driver cannot be found, you can still make a compensation claim. Your compensation will be paid by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

You can read more about who pays your compensation in a road accident.

With our help, you’ll be set on the right track to receive any private treatment or rehabilitation you may need, and secure the injury compensation you deserve.


Can I make a claim for my road accident?

The best way to find out if you have a road accident compensation claim is to give us a call for free on  0800 540 4258 .

Our calls are confidential, and you’re under no obligation to claim when you do call us.

We’ll simply tell you if we think you have a claim and provide you with advice on how to make a road accident compensation claim.

If you wish to go ahead with your claim, we can put you in contact with a specialist road accident solicitor.

We can help you make a compensation claim for your road accident if:

Your road accident was not your fault

This could mean there was dangerous driving by the driver of a bus or car in which you were a passenger. It might also be because a driver had been reckless while you were cycling next to them.

It might have been that your accident was caused by poor road conditions, by a local authority or by the Highways Agency failing to maintain the road to a safe standard. It may simply be that your car was hit by another driver who wasn’t taking enough care.

If your accident was caused by somebody else’s negligence or recklessness, you may be able to make a compensation claim.

You suffered an injury as a result of your road accident

This includes an injury that you needed medical treatment for or had to take time off work for.

It could also include any psychological trauma you may have suffered as a result of your accident.

When you make a compensation claim with us, we’ll also consider the nature and length of your recovery, and invite you to a free medical assessment so that you can gain more information about your rehabilitation.

Your accident happened in the last three years

Or, if you were under 18 at the time of the accident, you have three years from your 18th birthday to make a compensation claim for your road accident. You can also make a claim on a child’s behalf. Read about making a claim on behalf of a child here.

You can start a road accident claim today

We can help you get the compensation you deserve if you’ve suffered an injury as a result of a road accident that was not your fault.

If you complete your details in the form below, we’ll call you back to discuss your accident and compensation claim on a no obligation call.

You can also call us for free on 0800 540 4258  and we’ll discuss your accident now in a no obligation and confidential call.

Find out how we can help you, let us call you back

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

National Accident Helpline is a secure and private website
Found this helpful? Share it!
Find & follow us on