Landlord Accident Claims

If you or a loved one has been injured in rented accommodation, then we can help you make a compensation claim.

We can help if you need to make a claim against your landlord

We feel safest when in the comfort of our home, so an injury caused by an accident in rented accommodation can be particularly difficult to cope with and often very unexpected.

We also realise that accidents at home can cause painful injuries with long recovery times.

No matter what type of injury you’ve suffered, if it’s stopped you from being able to go to work, socialise, drive, or carry on with everyday tasks then it’s likely you’re entitled to compensation.

And if you’re reading this on behalf of a loved one, we know how hard it can be to see someone close to you go through such a difficult time.

It’s all too easy to blame yourself for an accident which happened while you were living in rented accommodation. But by law, your landlord or the authority responsible for your home should make sure your accommodation is properly maintained and safe for you and your family to live in.

If they haven’t provided you with a safe place to live, then you could make a compensation claim to cover the costs, impacts and expenses of your injury and recovery. This applies no matter whether you’re renting from a private landlord, a letting agent, a housing association, the local council, or a university.

For more information, or to find out whether you could make a claim, you can get in touch with our friendly, legally trained advisors on 0800 540 4258  for a free chat.

Your landlord’s responsibilities

When you rent a property, whether from a private landlord, the council or a housing association, you’re protected by common law. This may also be called “implied terms” in your tenancy agreement.

Common law states that a property should be in a condition that poses no significant risk to you or your visitors.

Also, your landlord should follow the strict rules set out in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 states that your landlord is responsible for making sure your home is safe and properly maintained both inside and outside. These rules can’t be cancelled out by anything your tenancy agreement says.

Your landlord’s responsibilities should be set out in your tenancy agreement, and they usually state that your landlord must provide a building that:

  • Can withstand normal weather conditions
  • Can withstand normal use by tenants and visitors
  • Is in a reasonable state of repair, both inside and outside
  • Is safe for you to live in
  • Is free from damp and is well ventilated

If your landlord has failed to uphold their responsibilities, then they’ve put you and your family at risk. If you’ve suffered from an injury, we could help you get the apology and compensation you need and deserve. Call us on 0800 540 4258  for a free, no pressure chat.

Making a landlord accident claim

Starting your compensation claim for an accident caused by your landlord is simple. The first step is to find out whether we think you have a claim. You can do this by getting in touch with our legally trained advisors for free on 0800 540 4258 . We can answer any questions you might have about making a compensation claim.

Our help is confidential and obligation-free, so you can be sure you’ll never feel rushed into starting your claim.

If you do decide you’d like to go ahead, we’ll choose the right specialist solicitor for you and can put you in touch with them on the same call, leaving you with the time to focus on your recovery.

Your solicitor will make sure you know exactly what to expect and will answer all your questions, before getting in touch with the other party to negotiate on your behalf.

We realise you may feel guilty or uncomfortable about making a claim against your landlord, but in most cases your landlord will have ‘landlord liability insurance’. This means your compensation will be paid by their insurance company, so you don’t need to worry about them being left with a bill they can’t afford.

Types of injury

If your landlord has failed to meet their responsibilities to keep you and your family safe, then this can cause a range of different types of injuries, some of which can be life changing.

Below are some examples of types of injuries which may be caused by landlord negligence. If your experience isn’t listed, then please don’t worry, it’s still likely we can help you.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Your landlord is responsible for making sure the gas appliances in your home are safe, and they must arrange for a gas safety check to be carried out by a ‘gas safe’ engineer every 12 months.

Carbon monoxide poisoning (also known as CO poisoning) is often caused by malfunctioning or poorly maintained gas boilers and appliances and can sometimes be life-changing, potentially causing brain and heart damage.

Find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Slips, trips and falls

Slips, trips and falls in the home are often caused by ripped carpets, floorboards which are loose or missing, poor lighting, as well as loose paving slabs or unsafe steps in the garden.

Your landlord is responsible for making sure your property is maintained and safe for you and your family to live in, and this includes taking reasonable actions to avoid slips, trips and falls.

Find out more about claiming for a slip, trip or fall.

Respiratory problems

Damp or mould in your home can be a cause of respiratory problems. Breathing in damp air or mould spores can cause lung conditions such as asthma, bronchitis or emphysema, or could make existing conditions worse.

Damp can often be caused by leaks or a lack of ventilation, particularly in kitchens and bathrooms. If you’ve let your landlord know about damp or mould in your rented accommodation, then they have a responsibility to address the problem.

Your compensation

We know that any injury can be painful and can leave you feeling like you’ve lost your independence.

Aside from the emotional impacts, it can also put pressure on your financial situation, especially if you’ve had to take time off work, pay for private medical treatment or pay for somewhere else to live.

Your injury may leave you feeling like you’re unable to support your family, or you may be reliant on them for transport, care, and help with everyday tasks. We’re here to help you.

When making your landlord accident claim, our specialist solicitors will take any impacts or expenses caused by your injury into consideration, this includes the impact on your family. Although money can’t take away your injury, it can help you get back to where you were.

No two cases are the same, and we look at each case on an individual basis to make sure you’re never left out of pocket because of an injury caused by your landlord’s negligence.

This means it’s not possible for us to tell you how much compensation you could receive before starting your claim, but you can try our free online compensation calculator to get an estimated figure.

Find out how we can help, let us call you back

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

National Accident Helpline is a secure and private website
Found this helpful? Share it!
Find & follow us on