Find out if you can claim now:

Who Pays My Road Accident Compensation?

Find out where your road accident compensation comes from.

Who pays your compensation?

We understand the impact a road traffic accident can have on your life. Whether you were cycling, driving or if you were a passenger or a pedestrian, you don’t deserve to be injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault.

That’s why we’re here to help you claim the compensation you need following your accident and to help you understand exactly where your compensation comes from and how it’s negotiated.

Road accidents caused by another motorist

If your road accident was caused by another motorist, whether they were a lorry driver, motorcyclist or the driver of a car, then your compensation will be paid by their insurance.

Simply put, this means if you’ve had an accident in the last three years and it wasn’t your fault, then your compensation will be covered by the responsible driver’s insurance company. You don’t have to worry about the responsible party being left with a bill they can’t afford, because it will not be paid by them personally.

Road accidents involving uninsured drivers

If your road accident was caused by an uninsured driver, you may feel anxious that you won’t be able to claim any compensation because the responsible party has no insurance to cover the cost of your claim.

However, you don’t need to worry. Compensation claimed against an uninsured driver is covered by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau manages a fund which all UK-based motor insurance companies are required by law to pay into each year. If you’re involved in an accident where the driver at fault is not insured or cannot be traced, your compensation will be paid from this fund.

Making a claim against the MIB for compensation is no different to a normal claim, so your compensation will still be calculated to cover the loss of earnings you’ve suffered and any damages to your property, health and lifestyle.

Hit and run road accidents

We know how frustrating it can be when someone refuses to face the consequences of an accident which was their fault. It’s likely they’ve left you with potentially life changing injuries, as well as damage to your vehicle.

If you don’t have the contact details of the responsible party, we can still help you to make a compensation claim as long as your accident happened within the last three years, was somebody else’s fault and it caused you an injury.

Your compensation will usually be paid by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

My accident was caused by road conditions

Sometimes accidents can be caused by road conditions such as potholes, cracks or badly maintained surface conditions of roads or pavements

If this applies to you, then your compensation will usually be paid by the Highways Agency or your local council.

Sometimes it’s a bit harder to tell who’s responsible, but every stretch of road and pavement is somebody’s responsibility and they have a duty to ensure it’s safe.

Claiming for a road traffic accident

Comprehensive insurance and your compensation

If you have a comprehensive motor insurance policy, it’s likely your insurer will help you to get your car, motorcycle or moped repaired and back on the road as soon as possible.

However, it’s unlikely your insurer will be able to help you make a compensation claim for your injuries following an accident.

That’s where we can help. Whether you’re fully comp or insured third party, fire and theft, we can help you make a claim for compensation if you’ve been injured because of an accident if it was someone else’s fault.

We realise it can sometimes be difficult to tell who’s at fault for an accident. If you’re unsure, you can get in touch with our legally trained advisors on 0800 540 4258 . All calls to us are free and you’re never under any pressure to make a claim – so you can simply get the advice you want, find out if you have a claim and decide your next steps.

Our legal service advisors finish this sentence: ‘In one word, I would like our consumers to feel…’


How much compensation could you receive?

Your compensation is negotiated to cover the cost and severity of your injury to you and your family. This means the final figure you receive is completely unique to your experience, so unfortunately it’s not possible for us to tell you how much you’ll receive before starting your claim.

However, we can promise your solicitor will consider the following consequences of your accident and will always work hard to try and get you the maximum amount you deserve. To do that, your solicitor will take into account:

  • The severity of your injury
  • The amount of time you’ve taken off work because of your injury
  • Any future time off work you’ll need
  • The impact on your career prospects
  • Whether your family members have needed to take time off
  • Any additional costs you’ve had to pay because of your injury – including travel, prescriptions and treatment costs

If you’d like to get an estimated figure of how much your claim might be worth, you can try our compensation calculator. It uses industry data and your answers to six questions to work out how much you might receive. It’s also completely free.

How much will your claim cost you?

Starting your claim will cost you nothing. All calls to us are free and our solicitors operate on a no win no fee agreement which means that if, for some reason, your claim is not successful then you won’t pay a penny.

There are no upfront costs or hidden fees when making a claim with us. If your case is successful, then your solicitor will charge a fee as a percentage of the amount you receive. You will have discussed and agreed this amount with your solicitor before starting, so you’ll know what to expect before you begin the claims process.

More about road accidents

Below is a list of road accidents we have more information on. Simply click on which one applies to you to find out more information:

If you can’t find what you’re looking for or would like to find out whether you’re eligible to make a claim, you can get in touch with our friendly, legally trained advisors on  0800 540 4258 for free, helpful advice.

Holiday road accidents

Suffering a road accident on holiday can be even more stressful than suffering an accident at home. Apart from your holiday being ruined, language barriers and distance from home can make the situation even more difficult, especially if you’ve been injured. We can help you make a claim for an accident abroad.

If your accident took place in Europe, the 4th EU Motor Directive 2003 requires that all European cars are listed on one database.

This means if you’re in a road accident while on holiday in Europe, the driver at fault can be found more easily and we can help you recover compensation from them to cover the impact your injury.

Learn more about making a compensation claim for an accident on holiday.

Find out how we can help you, let us call you back

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

National Accident Helpline is a secure and private website
Found this helpful? Share it!
Find & follow us on