Road Traffic Accident Claims

Road traffic accidents are unfortunately very common. If you’ve suffered an injury because of one, we can help you make a claim.

Understanding the full impact of your road traffic accident

We know that the impact of a road traffic accident on your life can be considerable. Aside from the physical pain of your injury, the psychological impact of being injured while walking down the street, cycling to work or travelling as a passenger is often traumatic.

Add that to an injury that takes time to heal, may be life-changing and permanent, or may cause further health complications, and the impact of your road traffic accident is devastating.

When you contact us about your injury and accident, we won’t just consider the severity of your injury – though we recognise this is extremely important to you – we’ll also consider the full impact of your injury on your life.

That means we’ll take the time to listen to what you say and make sure that we fully understand the impact your road traffic accident has had on you, your family, your future, your work life and your spare time.

Where there’s been change to your normal routine, whether temporarily or permanently we’ll look to recover compensation for that change.

Can you make a claim?

To be able to make a claim with us and our expert solicitors, your accident must have:

  • Happened within the last three years
  • Been somebody else’s fault
  • Caused injury to you

While there are some circumstances where the time you have to start your claim can be longer, for example if you or a loved one has suffered a head or brain injury, we generally are only able to help if your accident happened within the last three years.

If you’re feeling unsure, you get in touch with us for free on 0800 540 4258 . We’ll be happy to answer all your questions, and can let you know whether we think you can make a claim.

As part of our promise to you, we’ll never push or rush you into making a claim. But if you do decide you’d like to go ahead, we can pass you on to one of our specialist road accident solicitors.

How much compensation could you claim?

The amount of compensation you could claim depends on the type of accident you’ve had, the severity of your injury and the impact it’s had on the rest of your life and the lives of those around you.

Because there are so many factors considered when your expert solicitor negotiates your compensation, we’re not able to tell you how much compensation you may be entitled to when you contact us – however, we can tell you if we think you have a claim.

We’ve also created an industry leading compensation calculator to help you understand how much your claim might be worth. You can try our calculator here or give us a call on 0800 540 4258 for free now.

What’s considered in your compensation

As each claim is completely unique to the person who suffered the accident, the things considered in your compensation case may vary to another person making the same type of claim.

However, generally our solicitors look to recover compensation for any impact your accident and injury has had on your life. This means your solicitor typically considers:

  • Your time off work and loss of earnings
  • Your future loss of income and effects on your career prospects
  • Any changes to your ability to work
  • The care or support you’ve received, even if this has been given for free from family or friends
  • Any adaptations you might need
  • Any travel costs you’ve had to cover

Are you entitled to early compensation payments?

You may be entitled to early compensation payments following your road traffic accident if your accident and injury are particularly serious.

Early compensation payments, also known as interim or immediate needs payments, are awarded to people who need financial support sooner than their compensation claim will be settled.

This could be for a number of reasons, but is typically because the immediate costs of your injury can’t be covered by your current financial situation.

For example, this may include the cost of housing your family somewhere near your hospital or rehabilitation centre, or it may be covering the cost your rent, mortgage or bills because you’re on reduced or statutory sick pay.

Whatever your immediate needs, if you’re not able to cover the costs because of your injury, your solicitor can negotiate to secure you a quicker compensation payment while they continue to negotiate for your final settlement.

We can help with your recovery and rehabilitation

As part of our commitment to fully understanding the impact of your injury, once we’ve connected you to a specialist solicitor you’ll be asked to attend a free medical assessment. This is so that we can assess your injury to see what extra care, rehabilitation and support you might need to get you back on your feet.

Our solicitors work with a wide range of rehabilitation providers so that they can provide you with the right support. So, whether your road traffic accident has left you needing physiotherapy to regain mobility, counselling to help you feel safe and adjusted or an occupational therapist to assess your needs, we can help.

Our legally trained advisors

Watch the video below

Working as one of our Legal Service Advisors means putting ourselves in your shoes and helping you understand how we can help.

Found this helpful? Share it!

Who pays your road accident compensation?

Road accidents caused by another motorist

If your road accident was caused by another motorist, whether they were a lorry driver, motorcyclist or the driver of a car, then your compensation will be paid by their insurance.

This means you don’t have to worry about the other driver being left with a bill they can’t afford, because it won’t be paid by them personally.

Road accidents involving uninsured drivers

If your injury was caused by an uninsured driver, you may be worried that you won’t be able to make a compensation claim. However, claims made against an uninsured driver will be paid by the Motor Insurer’s Buearu (MIB).

All UK-based motor insurance companies are legally required to pay into the Motor Insurers’ Bureau each year so that people who are injured in an accident involving an uninsured or untraceable driver can still receive the compensation they deserve.

Hit and run road accidents

We know how frustrating and upsetting it can be when someone refuses to face the consequences of an accident which was their fault.

If you don’t have the details of the responsible party because they can’t be found or traced, then your compensation will usually be paid by the Motor Insurer’s Bureau.

Accidents caused by poor road conditions

Road accidents can be caused by poor conditions of road and pavement surfaces, such as potholes and cracks.

Someone is responsible for every stretch of road, and it should be well maintained and safe for use. If your road accident was caused by badly maintained surfaces, then your compensation will usually be paid by the Highways Agency or your local council.

How much will your road accident claim cost you?

When you make your road traffic accident claim with us there is no cost to you. That’s true whether you were a driver, cyclist, passenger or pedestrian. This is because all our expert solicitors can handle your case on a no win no fee basis, meaning if your case isn’t successful you won’t pay a penny.

There are some charges if your claim is successful and you are awarded compensation, but before you start your claim you’ll agree a fee with your solicitor, and your solicitor will try to recover most of their costs from the party responsible for your accident.

Starting your claim and getting advice about whether you can claim is also completely free when you contact us on 0800 540 4258 . We pride ourselves on the free, confidential advice we provide for those who have suffered an injury through no fault of their own.

Common types of road traffic accidents

Nearly all road traffic accidents fall into the following categories:

However, the circumstances of your road traffic accident might not be listed or fall into any of these claim types. If this applies to you, then please don’t worry. As long as your accident happened in the last three years, was somebody else’s fault and caused you an injury then it’s likely we can help you.

Contact us for free on 0800 540 4258  to speak to one of our friendly, legally trained advisors who will be able to advise you on whether you’re eligible to claim.

We can call you back! And we’ll keep your data safe.

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

National Accident Helpline is a secure and private website
Found this helpful? Share it!
Find & follow us on