I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.


Speak to us now on 0800 376 0150 or request a call back

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.

If you've slipped on ice, you may be able to claim

If you've been injured after a slip, trip, or fall on ice or snow, you may be eligible to claim compensation for your injuries.

We're ready to help you find out if you have a claim for compensation, and answer any questions you might have.

You can call us now to discuss your accident and claim on .

All of our calls are free and confidential.

More customer stories

Am I eligible to make a compensation claim?

To be eligible to claim compensation, you must have sustained injuries in an accident, and the fall you suffered must have been someone else's fault.

To be able to claim compensation for your injuries we need to know where and when you slipped on ice or snow. Don't worry if you don't know the exact date - an estimate will be fine.

It will also be useful to know who is responsible for the area where you had your fall, for example if it's your employer or a local authority, but don't worry if you're unsure. Your solicitor will be able to find that out when starting your claim.

The Occupiers' Liability Act 1957 states that an occupier of premises has a ‘common duty of care' towards visitors. This means they must ensure that visitors are ‘reasonably safe in using the premises'.

During cold spells, this duty can include keeping areas free from ice and snow that could cause accidents.

If you're injured as a result of slipping on ice and snow on someone else's premises, you may be able to claim compensation. We can help you find out today on

Slipped on ice or snow at work?

Employers have a duty of care towards their employees, meaning they must do everything reasonably possible to prevent employees slipping on ice and snow in the workplace.

This may include keeping frequently used areas, such as pathways, works yards and car parks, clear of ice and snow.

It's important to remember that, if you make a compensation claim against your employer after slipping on ice, their insurance company will pay the compensation.

What's more, it's illegal for your employer to sack you for making a compensation claim - this would amount to unfair dismissal.

Read the is my job at risk page to find out more about your rights when making a compensation claim against your employer.

If you slipped on ice in a public place or at work you might be able to claim.

Below is a list of the places we know slips or falls in ice or snow can happen. If you've slipped in one of these places it's likely we may be able to help you, but to be sure you can call us for free on.

Some of the most likely places this could happen are:

  • In your place of work
  • At a shopping centre
  • In a supermarket
  • At a retail park
  • In a car park
  • On a train or bus station
  • On school grounds
  • On hospital grounds
  • Within certain private properties

When you contact us about your accident we'll be on hand to answer any questions you might have about the claims process and your compensation.

Although when you call us we aren't able to tell you the value of your compensation claim, we will be able to tell you within minutes if we think you have a compensation claim.

If we do, we'll then ask your permission to put you in contact with your specialist solicitor. Your solicitor will have experience working with claims similar to yours. They'll also be the ones who tell you how much your claim will be worth at the earliest opportunity.

Our calls are free, and we can provide advice without any obligation to start your compensation claim.

We can also call you back. Just complete your details in our secure online form and we'll aim to contact you within 30 minutes, during normal opening hours.