I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.


Speak to us now on 0800 376 0150 or request a call back

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.

Your local council has a responsibility to you

Councils are responsible for many of the buildings and spaces we use every day. They have a legal duty to make sure their property is maintained and safe to be used. If they fail to uphold this responsibility and you've had an accident as a result then it can feel very unfair.

We're here to guide you through the first steps of claiming the compensation you need to recover financially, as well as physically. So, whether you've suffered a slip or fall, an accident on the road or an accident in your council house you can speak to us for free, impartial advice on .

It's likely that your council is responsible for many of the public roads and pavements in your local area. They should make sure they're safe for use by carrying out regular maintenance to fix any problems, such as:

Damaged or poorly maintained roads and pavements can be a serious danger to anyone using them, including pedestrians, drivers, cyclists and all other road users.

Councils are also responsible for making sure that roads are gritted when there's a risk of cold weather. Although it might not always be possible for them to grit every road, they should make sure major roads are safe.

Everybody deserves a safe place to live. If your safety has been put at risk because of the council's negligence, then this can feel like a breach of your trust.

If you live in council-owned housing, your local council is responsible for making sure the building doesn't pose a risk to you and your family. This includes making sure:

  • Faulty electrical items, such as cookers and electrical appliances are well maintained and fixed as soon as a problem is found
  • Checking for loose roof tiling or gutter pipes and scheduling maintenance
  • Ensuring loose carpeting or broken bannisters are fixed
  • Making sure council gardens and paths are clear and well maintained to prevent slips and falls

It's likely your local council will have a page on their website where you can report these kinds of hazards. If you're unsure, you should always contact your council as soon as you find a hazard.

Playgrounds and parks are places of fun, which makes accidents in these areas even more shocking. As a parent, you should feel confident that your child can safely play without the risk of hurting themselves.

Although general wear and tear of park paths and playground equipment is unavoidable, councils should carry out regular maintenance checks to make sure all visitors are safe.

Faulty equipment, such as poorly maintained climbing frames and broken flooring, can cause severe injuries to adults as well as children and can lead to lasting trauma.

When children are dropped off at school each day, the last thing a parent expects is for their child to be at risk of injury while in the school's care.

Minor injuries such as scraped knees and bruises are very common when children are playing, but if the school has failed to follow health and safety laws, this can cause injuries that could be avoided.

Public schools and the areas immediately around them are maintained by the council's Local Education Authorities (LEAs), who have a duty of care to protect the pupils and visitors within the school grounds. Part of this is making sure that any hazards are signposted and fixed as soon as possible.

If your child has been injured because an LEA failed to maintain safety standards, then it's likely we can help you make a compensation claim on your child's behalf.

Starting a claim against your local council can feel daunting, but we're here to guide you through the first steps.

When you call us on we'll never pressure you into starting a claim - if you're just looking for advice or answers following an accident on council property, we're here to help.

If you do decide you'd like to go ahead, we can put you forward to an experienced specialist solicitor who can help you make a no win no fee claim.