COVID-19: despite current events, we're open and ready to help. Stay safe!

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.


Speak to us now on 0800 376 0150 or request a call back

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.

We understand the impact accidents can have on a child's life

Suffering an injury is traumatic for the strongest of us. Injuries take away our independence and stop us from being able to carry on with our everyday life.

But when an accident involves a child, we know that can be especially hard to cope with. To us, seeing your child hurt or in pain because of somebody else's negligence feels wrong.

No amount of money can make up for seeing your child in pain. But we've seen how much of a difference compensation can make to a child's treatment, recovery and future.

Not only can it cover the immediate costs of their injury, it can also help them get the support they need in the future so that they can carry on with their life and regain as much of their independence as possible.

When you feel ready, you can get in touch with us for free, impartial advice on .

We realise that any injury your child suffers can feel like a serious injury. But there are certain circumstances that make an injury particularly serious, such as:

  • If your child's development will be affected by their injury
  • They will live with a condition or pain they didn't have before
  • Their injury caused them to spend a prolonged time in hospital
  • You or another member of your family had to take long period of time off work

If this applies to your child, you might be able to make a serious injury claim on your child's behalf. Their compensation will cover the impact on your ability to work, as well as the pain and suffering your child's gone through and any future limitations caused by their injury.

For more information, and for free advice, you can speak to us on . We know how daunting the thought of starting a claim can be, which is why we'll never rush you into making a claim, we're simply here to listen and to help.

If your child's accident was someone else's fault and caused them injury, then it's likely you can make a claim on their behalf.

Usually you have until three years after their 18th birthday to start a claim. Or your child can start their own claim if they're now between the age of 18 and 21. But there are some exceptions to this: For example, if your child does not have the mental capacity after their 18th birthday, then you may have longer than three years to start their claim.

When you get in touch with us, we'll listen to everything you say about your child's accident. We'll also ask you some questions - this is to make sure we understand the effect their injury has had on their life, as well as their long-term needs.

Your solicitor will also ask you some questions about your child's accident so that they can understand exactly what happened and assess how much compensation you might be entitled to.

To do this, your solicitor considers:

  • Any extra treatment or specialised care your child might need
  • Any support you or your child need
  • Any adaptations to your home or car
  • The time you've taken off work, as well as other family members
  • Your child's future and how this might now be different because of their accident

Interim and mid-claim payments

You shouldn't have to deal with financial pressure on top of looking after your child. That's why your solicitor may be able to make a case for you to receive ‘interim' or ‘mid-claim' payments.

Interim payments are compensation payments you can receive before the final settlement, to make sure your child's immediate needs are covered.

For example, you may have needed to travel to a specialist doctor at a hospital that isn't local to you, or have taken time off work to make sure your child is cared for and supported during their recovery.

When your child turns 18

Your child's compensation will be protected by the court until they are 18.

However, if earlier payments are needed for their care or development, your solicitor can help you set up a ‘personal injury trust'. This will allow you to access some of their compensation sooner.

Once your child is 18 their compensation will be released to them, providing their injury did not affect their mental capacity to manage their finances.

If they do lack the ability to manage their own finances, then the Court of Protection will appoint a "deputy". This is typically a close family member, friend or professional who will be responsible for making sure your child's money is handled correctly.

Below are some of the accidents we know can cause serious injury to children, and can lead to a successful compensation claim:

Your child may have suffered an injury from an accident type not listed above. As long as this accident was caused by somebody else, it's likely we can still help.

We know that in some cases accidents can lead to fatalities. If you've experienced the death of your child as a result of an accident that wasn't their fault or medical negligence, we can help you towards the compensation and apology you deserve in a supportive environment.

Please visit our dedicated page of content on fatal accidents here, or call us on  to discuss your experience in a confidential and advisory chat.