COVID-19: despite current events, we're open and ready to help. Stay safe!

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.


Speak to us now on 0800 376 0150 or request a call back

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me.

We can help if you need to make a claim against your landlord

We feel safest when in the comfort of our home - an injury caused by an accident in rented accommodation can be particularly difficult to cope with and often very unexpected.

We also realise that accidents at home can cause painful injuries with long recovery times. We're here to help you make it right.

No matter what type of injury you've suffered, if it's stopped you from being able to go to work, socialise, drive, or carry on with everyday tasks then it's likely you're entitled to compensation.

It's all too easy to blame yourself for an accident that happened while you were living in rented accommodation. But by law, your landlord or the authority responsible for your home should make sure your accommodation is properly maintained and safe for you and your family to live in.

If they haven't provided you with a safe place to live, then you could make a compensation claim to cover the costs, impacts and expenses of your injury and recovery. This applies no matter whether you're renting from a private landlord, a letting agent, a housing association, the local council, or a university.

For free, impartial advice, or to find out whether you could make a claim, you can get in touch us on .

When you rent a property, you're protected by common law. This may also be called "implied terms" in your tenancy agreement.

Common law states that a property should be in a condition that poses no significant risk to you or your visitors.

Also, your landlord should follow the strict rules set out in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985.

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 states that your landlord is responsible for making sure your home is safe and properly maintained both inside and outside. These rules can't be cancelled out by anything your tenancy agreement says.

Your landlord's responsibilities should be set out in your tenancy agreement, and they usually state that your landlord must provide a building that:

  • Can withstand normal weather conditions
  • Can withstand normal use by tenants and visitors
  • Is in a reasonable state of repair, both inside and outside
  • Is safe for you to live in
  • Is free from damp and is well ventilated

Starting your compensation claim for an accident caused by your landlord is simple. The first step is to find out whether we think you have a claim. You can do this by getting in touch with our legally trained advisors for free on .

Our help is confidential. We'll never rush or pressure you into making a claim - we're simply here to give free, impartial advice and to help you understand whether you can claim.

If you do decide you'd like to take the next steps, we can put you forward to the right specialist solicitor for your case.

Your solicitor will make sure you know exactly what to expect and will answer all your questions, before getting in touch with the other party to negotiate on your behalf.

We realise you may feel uncomfortable about making a claim against your landlord. But in most cases your landlord will have ‘landlord liability insurance' - this means your compensation will be paid by their insurance company, not by them personally.

More customer stories

If your landlord has failed to meet their responsibilities to keep you and your family safe, then this can cause several different types of injury, some of which can be life changing.

Below are some examples. If your injury isn't listed, then don't worry - it's still likely we can help you.

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Your landlord is responsible for making sure the gas appliances in your home are safe, and they must arrange for a gas safety check to be carried out by a ‘gas safe' engineer every 12 months.

Carbon monoxide poisoning (also known as CO poisoning) is often caused by malfunctioning or poorly maintained gas boilers and appliances. In some serious cases it can be life-changing, causing damage to the brain and heart.

Find out more about carbon monoxide poisoning.

Slips, trips and falls

Slips, trips and falls in the home are often caused by ripped carpets, floorboards which are loose or missing, poor lighting, as well as loose paving slabs or unsafe steps in the garden.

Your landlord is responsible for making sure your property is maintained and safe for you and your family to live in, and this includes taking reasonable actions to avoid slips, trips and falls.

Find out more about claiming for a slip, trip or fall.

Respiratory problems

Damp or mould in your home can be a cause of respiratory problems. Breathing in damp air or mould spores can cause lung conditions such as asthma, bronchitis or emphysema, or could make existing conditions worse.

Damp can often be caused by leaks or a lack of ventilation, particularly in kitchens and bathrooms. If you've let your landlord know about damp or mould in your rented accommodation, then they have a responsibility to address the problem.

We know that any injury can be painful and can leave you feeling like you've lost your independence.

Aside from the emotional impacts, it can also put pressure on your financial situation, especially if you've had to take time off work, pay for private medical treatment or pay for somewhere else to live.

Your injury may leave you feeling like you're unable to support your family, or you may be reliant on them for transport, care, and help with everyday tasks. To us, this feels wrong.

When making your landlord accident claim, our specialist solicitors will take into consideration anything that has changed in your life, this includes the impact on your family.

This means it's not possible for us to tell you how much compensation you could receive before starting your claim, but you can try our free online compensation calculator to get an estimated figure.