Ice or Snow Accidents
Adjust your driving to suit road conditions
The winter months can mean dangerous conditions on the roads, with ice or snow contributing to a large number of accidents. Even the most experienced drivers can have difficulties when there’s ice or snow on the roads.
In the event that you are injured in a collision after another driver loses control of their vehicle, you are likely to have a strong claim for compensation as drivers are required to take much greater care in ice and snow.
National Accident Helpline may be able to help you claim compensation. It’s important to remember that all motorists are required by law to take out car insurance policies. One of the reasons for taking out motor insurance is to cover the costs of any compensation claims should they arise.
You can also make a compensation claim if you were injured in an accident on the roads while travelling as a passenger even if you were in a friend or relative’s car. The claim will be dealt with and paid by an insurance company rather than your friend or relative.
Avoiding accidents when there’s ice or snow on the roads
- Before setting off, you must be able to see properly – remove any ice or snow from all windows
- Ensure that the car’s lights are clear and number plates are clearly visible
- Keep well back from the vehicle in front – stopping distances may be up to ten times longer than on dry roads
- On icy roads, drive slowly in a high gear to improve traction and control
- Accelerate and brake as gently as possible.
- Where possible, brake while the car is travelling in a straight line – i.e. before corners
Claiming compensation after a car accident caused by ice or snow
After an accident on the roads, you may be unsure whether or not you can claim compensation – National Accident Helpline is here to help.
Our friendly advisors are legally trained, so they can tell you whether you can make a claim, this will depend on the specific details of your accident.
You will then be put in contact with a specialist car accident claims solicitor who will explain the claims process to you. Wherever possible, claims are handled on a no win no fee basis.
To read about the experiences of people we’ve helped claim compensation after a car accident, visit our Road Accident Testimonials page. Alternatively, give us a call on 0800 540 4258 to speak to our team of advisors or alternatively, fill in your details on our claim form and we’ll call you right back.