Slip, trip and fall accident claims

If you’ve been injured in a slip, trip or fall, we can help you make it right.

Speak to us now on 0800 376 0150 or request a call back.

Secure Padlock Icon Information on how we handle your data is in our Privacy Policy

Compensation for a slip, trip or fall

Falling over in public can feel embarrassing and unfair, especially if caused by somebody else’s negligence. But worse than that the injuries caused can be painful, and sometimes serious.

Making a compensation claim can seem daunting. But we’re here to make sure you know exactly what it involves and to guide you through the process one step at a time. Whether you know you have a claim, or are looking for free, impartial advice about potentially making a claim, we can help.

We have 25 years’ experience helping people access compensation. So, if your accident happened in the last three years and was somebody else’s fault, then there’s a good chance you’re entitled to make a claim.

People don’t deserve to be injured because of somebody else’s inaction or neglect. They don’t deserve to be left out of pocket or unable to work because of an injury that could have been avoided. And that’s why we’re committed to helping people make it right.

So, if you’d like free, impartial advice or to be put in contact with a specialist solicitor, call us for free on 0800 376 0150.

Who's at fault for your fall?

Who's at fault for your fall?1

Slips, trips and falls generally happen because businesses and local councils didn’t take the correct safety measures to keep you and other members of the public safe.

This means most slips or falls are caused by:

  • Wet floors
  • Uneven flooring
  • Cracked or uneven pavements
  • Unexpected obstacles
  • Inadequate lighting

Your local council is responsible for keeping public pavements, steps and walkways safe.

Businesses such as shops, supermarkets, pubs and restaurants also have a responsibility to keep you safe from slips and trips. They must signpost wet floors, keep walkways or aisles clear and clean up spillages as quickly as possible.

If your accident was caused by any of the above, get in contact with us on 0800 376 0150. All calls with us are free, and we’ll never pressure you into claiming – you can simply get the advice you need.

Slips and Trips FAQ

About your compensation

We understand how stressful it can be to suffer an injury because of a slip, trip or fall. It can affect your mobility and your ability to work. Compensation can help you get back to where you were before your injury.

Your compensation could help to cover the costs of any medical treatment and physiotherapy that may help you recover. It could also help to make up for any lost earnings from taking time off work.

We can give you an idea of how much your claim might be worth via our claims calculator. Our calculator is a free tool that asks you some questions about your accident. It then gives you an estimated figure on how much you might be able to claim.

Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 376 0150 to speak to one of our advisors, who will be able to let you know whether they think you can make a claim.

Slips, trips and falls at work

We know you may be worried that if you make a claim against your employer you may lose your job or be treated differently, but this isn’t true.

When you make a claim against your employer for a slip or trip at work, or any other type of work accident claim, you are protected by law. It’s illegal for your employer to dismiss you or treat you differently because of your claim.

You may also be concerned that when you make a claim against your employer they’ll be left out of pocket, or with a settlement amount they can’t afford. Again, this isn’t true.

When a claim is made against an employer, it is their insurer who pays the compensation, not them.

By law, employers must take out employer’s liability insurance to cover the cost of claims made against them. So, don’t worry – making a work injury claim won’t leave your employer with a bill they can’t pay.

Find out more about claiming against your employer

Slips, trips and falls in a public place

Shops and restaurants have a duty of care to keep you safe from slips, trips and falls while you’re on their premises.

They must make sure they create a safe environment for their staff and you. This includes clearly highlighting hazards and making sure pathways and corridors are free of obstacles.

In some cases, even if there was a sign warning you of a hazard such as a wet floor, you may still be able to claim for compensation if you were injured. The shop or restaurant is still responsible if the measures put in place do not suitably reduce the risk. For example, the spillage may have been there for a long time, or may be over spilling the hazard sign.

Find out more about claiming after suffering an injury in a shop or supermarket:

Slips and trips in rented accommodation

If you live in rented accommodation then your landlord, council or housing association is responsible for keeping the property well maintained. This means that any dangers or malfunctions in your home should be fixed as soon as reasonably possible.

If your landlord, council or housing association hasn’t maintained your property to a safe standard, then accidents such as slips, trips and falls can happen.

You can call us for free on 0800 376 0150 for confidential advice and to find out whether we think you have a claim.

To find out more about claiming while living in rented accommodation, visit our landlord accident claims page.

Find out how we can help, let us call you back

I agree for National Accident Helpline to contact me
Secure Padlock Icon Information on how we handle your data is in our Privacy Policy
Find & follow us on

There was an error with your submission. Please refresh the page and try again.