Call FREE 0800 376 0150

Who Pays My Road Accident Compensation?

If you're making a road accident claim, you may want to know where the compensation will come from.

We'll help you work out who's responsible for paying your car or road accident compensation

We understand the impact a car accident can have on your life - that’s why we’re here to help you claim the compensation you deserve.

We also understand that you might be concerned about who might be required to pay you that compensation. This will depend on the type of road accident you've had.

Who pays my compensation?

My road accident involved another car

If your accident was caused by another car or motorist, then your compensation will be paid by their insurance company.

This means, if you’ve had an accident that was not your fault but resulted in you suffering an injury, your compensation will be covered by the responsible driver’s insurance company.

My accident was caused by an uninsured driver

If your accident was caused by an uninsured driver, your compensation claim will be paid by the Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB).

The Motor Insurers' Bureau manages a fund which all motor insurance companies are required to pay into.

Your insurance company, and all UK motor insurance companies, pay into the MIB each year to cover the cost of road accidents caused by uninsured drivers or drivers who cannot be traced following an accident. 

The Bureau is there to help people like you recover the money you’ve lost as a result of your accident and injury.

This could include the loss of earnings you've experienced from taking time off work or the cost of damages to your property, along with any additional costs you've incurred as a result of your injury, such as travel expenses. 

My accident was caused by road conditions

There are some accidents that are caused by road conditions or other environmental factors.

If your accident was caused by potholes or cracks in the road, then your compensation will be paid by the Highways Agency or your local council.

Sometimes, it's a bit harder to tell who's responsible for a stretch of road or pavement. However, every bit of road surface is looked after by somebody. If your accident was caused by the poor conditions of a road or pavement then your compensation will be paid by the party responsible for their condition. 

  Comprehensive insurance and compensation claims

If you have a comprehensive motor insurance policy, it’s likely your insurer will help you to get your car, motorcycle or moped repaired and back on the road as soon as possible.

However, it is unlikely they will be able to help you make a compensation claim for your injuries following an accident.

We can help you make a compensation claim if you’re a driver with a comprehensive insurance policy who has been injured as a result of the accident.

The accident has to be the fault of somebody else, and it needs to have happened within the last three years. 

Contact us on 0800 376 01500800 376 0150  and we’ll be able to let you know if you have a claim and tell you about the next steps in the claims process.

You can start your claim by completing our online claim form here.

With our help, you’ll be set on the right track to receive any private treatment or rehabilitation you may need, and secure the injury compensation you deserve.

How much compensation could I receive? 

Your experience is unique to you, and the compensation you could receive will depend on how it's affected your life.

When you start your compensation claim with us, we’ll collect some information from you about your accident and injury. This will generally include:

  • The severity of your injury
  • The amount of time you’ve had to take off work as a result of the injury
  • The cost of the damage to your property (if any)
  • Any additional costs you’ve had to pay as a result of your injury, such as travel expenses or private medical care

This information will be passed on to your specialist solicitor, who will negotiate on your behalf throughout your claim.

Your specialist solicitor will tell you the amount of compensation you could receive at the earliest opportunity during your compensation claim.

To give you an indication of what you could receive, we’ve created our industry-leading compensation calculator.

Our calculator asks you some questions about your experience and then provides an estimated figure of how much compensation you might receive if you were to make a compensation claim. 

See how much your claim could be worth with our compensation calculator

Try it here

  Holiday road accident claims

If you’ve been injured in a car accident while abroad, we can help you.

If your accident took place in Europe, the 4th EU Motor Directive 2003 requires that all European cars are listed on one database. This means if you’re in a road accident while on holiday in Europe, the driver at fault can be found more easily.

You can read more about making a compensation claim for an accident on holiday here

We can help you make a compensation claim for a road accident at home or abroad

You can find out if you can claim by giving us a call on 0800 376 01500800 376 0150

All of our calls are free and confidential. When you contact us, or allow us to contact you, you’re under no obligation to claim.

We’ll listen to your experience and explain the claims process.

If we think you are eligible to make a claim then, with your permission, we’ll put you in contact with a specialist solicitor who will be able to handle your road accident claim.

Alternatively, you can complete your details in our secure form here to start your claim online now.