Children’s Injury Claims

If your child has been in an accident, we're so sorry. Find out how we can help you and your child today.

We understand the impact accidents can have on a child’s life

Suffering an injury is traumatic for the strongest of us. Injuries take away our independence and stop us from being able to go about our everyday life. But when an accident involves a child we know that the experience can be even more distressing.

We understand that it must be difficult to see your child suffer, and the prospect of how their injury may affect their future is upsetting, especially if they’ve suffered a complicated or prolonged injury.

Like you, we’d rather your child hadn’t been injured in the first place and we know that no amount of money can make up for having to watch your child be in pain or discomfort.

But if your child has been injured in an accident that wasn’t their fault, we can help you claim compensation on their behalf to help support their future and get them the medical treatment they need to make the best recovery possible.

When you feel ready, you can get in touch with our friendly, legally trained advisors on  0800 540 4258 . Our advisors are here to listen to everything you have to say about your child’s accident. They’ll also answer any questions you might have about your child’s potential case.

When you speak to us, there’s never any obligation to make a claim. We’re an advisory service, and we can take the stress out of contacting solicitors for advice and expertise. Your phone call to us is also free and your information will be kept confidential.

Has your child suffered a serious injury?

We realise that any injury your child suffers can feel like a serious injury. If the accident was caused by someone else, then it’s likely we can help you make a claim.

However, in some cases the injury your child has suffered can be particularly severe and have a lasting impact on your lives and their development. In this case we would consider your child to have suffered a serious or life-changing injury.

The process of making a claim for a child’s serious injury is the same as making a personal injury claim on behalf of a child, except we know that your child’s injury will have had a more severe impact on your family and routines.

Your child may have suffered a serious injury if they:

  • Have repeatedly stayed in hospital or been admitted to hospital for extended periods of time for treatment
  • Caused you or another family member to have repeated or extended periods of time off work
  • Have suffered an injury that will affect their future development and prospects

If your child has experienced any of the above, we recommend that you contact us about the compensation they may be entitled to today. Typically, we can let you know if our solicitors can help in one call and give you more information on what to expect from the claims process.

Remember your call to us on 0800 540 4258 is advisory, so you’re under no obligation to start a claim, but if you do you’ll be taking the first steps to securing financial compensation for your child’s accident that can help you make adaptations, get specialist treatment and care, and pay for your child’s future.

Does your child have a claim?

If the accident your child was involved in was someone else’s fault and your child suffered an injury as a result, then you may be eligible to start a compensation claim on their behalf.  You have until three years after their 18th birthday to start a claim.

There are some occasions where the eligibility criteria changes, for example if your child does not have the mental capacity after their 18th birthday, then you may have longer to start their compensation claim.

We can discuss your circumstances and your child’s accident in a free and advisory call. Our legally trained advisors will never pressure you into making a claim, so if you’d like free and confidential advice please contact us on 0800 540 4258 today.

Your child's compensation

The amount of compensation your child is entitled to depends on the circumstances of their accident.

We’re here to listen to the conditions of your child’s accident and provide you with advice and information about making a claim on their behalf, but unfortunately we’re not able to advise you how much compensation they might receive at the time of your call with us.

This is because your specialist solicitor negotiates to make sure you receive the maximum amount of compensation possible for your child based on their injury and long-term needs.

So if you decide to claim, your solicitor will consider the immediate and long-term impacts of your child’s accident to make sure that you and your family get the financial support you need at this difficult time.

If you’d like an estimate of how much your child might receive, you can use our industry-leading compensation calculator. Our calculator uses industry wide statistics to provide you with a guideline figure of the value of your claim.

Alternatively, you can speak to us for free on 0800 540 4258 . We’ll let you know if we think you have a claim and, with your permission, we can transfer you to one of our specialist solicitors, who will be able to discuss your child’s compensation with you.

Interim and mid-claim payments

We know that you want to make sure your child is as comfortable as possible and getting the treatment that they need.

This might mean visiting a specialist doctor at a hospital that isn’t local to you, or making adaptations to your home, car or routines. It’s also very likely that you’ll have had to take time off work to make sure your child is cared for and supported during their recovery.

This obviously all costs you money and can have a prolonged effect on your financial stability and savings.

Where possible your solicitor will make a case for you to receive ‘interim’ or mid-claim payments.

These are financial payments made from the party responsible for your child’s injury to cover the immediate costs of the accident.

Your solicitor can make sure that these are arranged, providing the other party has accepted responsibility for your child’s injury.

When your child turns 18

Your child’s compensation remains protected by the court until they are 18 and is typically invested until they’re old enough to be responsible for their own finances. However, if earlier payments are needed to help support their care or development, your solicitor can help you to set up a personal injury trust so that you can access some of the compensation.

Once your child is 18 their compensation will be released to them, providing their injury did not affect their mental capacity to manage their finances.

If they do lack the ability to manage their own finances, then the Court of Protection will appoint a “deputy”. This is typically a close family member, friend or professional who will be responsible for making sure your child’s finances are handled correctly.

Making a children's serious injury claim

The first step to making a compensation claim on behalf of a child is to contact us on 0800 540 4258  or fill in our online form.

Whether you’re calling us, or we’re contacting you, you’ll speak to one of our specialist legally trained advisors, who will talk through your child’s accident and injury to find out a bit more about what happened.

As all of our advisors go through intensive training before they take your call, you can be sure that they’ll be able to answer any questions you have. During your call, they’ll only ask the questions that are necessary for us to be able to help you.

There’s no obligation to start your claim when you call us, but if you decide you do want to claim, we’ll take the stress and time out of finding the right solicitor for your case by putting you in contact with one of our expert solicitor firms.

Your solicitor will then talk you through the steps of making a claim and will keep you fully informed throughout your case. They’ll work hard to get your child the compensation they deserve following their accident and will keep the process as stress free as possible for you.

Find out more about making a claim on behalf of somebody else here

No win no fee

All of our solicitors can help you to make your claim on a no win no fee basis. This means that if for some reason your claim is not successful, then you won’t be charged a penny.

Our no win no fee promise takes the financial risk out of making a claim on behalf of a child so that you won’t have to deal with any more surprises, meaning you can focus on more important things.

In some rare cases it’s not possible to make a no win no fee claim. This is unlikely to apply to you, but if it does then your solicitor will let you know beforehand and can talk you through the other options available.

Start your claim now by completing our call back form

Serious accidents involving children

We know that accidents can happen in any circumstance but below are some of the accidents we know can cause serious injury to children, and can lead to a successful compensation claim.

It may be that your child has suffered an injury from an accident type not listed above. As long as this accident was caused by somebody else it’s likely we can still help. Please call us on 0800 540 4258  to be sure.

We know that in some cases accidents can lead to fatalities. If you’ve experienced the death of your child as a result of an accident or medical negligence that wasn’t their fault, we can help you towards the compensation and apology you deserve. Please visit our dedicated page of content on fatal accidents here, or call us on 0800 540 4258  to discuss your experience in a confidential and advisory chat.

Find out how we can help you, let us call you back

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

National Accident Helpline is a secure and private website
Found this helpful? Share it!
Find & follow us on